Peer support groups for children, teens, and their caregivers are offered each week for two hours in the evenings (6-8 pm). Contact us for the current calendar. Call Lil Love (545-5683) to enroll. After a healthy pot luck dinner, the children, teens and adults gather in separate areas. All programs are child directed and family centered. Trained mentors provide support. Each group accepts a maximum of 15 children and 15 teens.
Peer Support Group Structure:
Circle Time – Groups begin and end with a sharing circle. No one is forced to talk. We have an “I Pass” rule.
Play Time – After opening circle, children and teens can choose what they want to do from many available activities. There is a six foot tall wrestling doll and other sports equipment. Mentors keep the group safe. Other activities include arts and crafts, dramatic play, games, and more.
Closing Circle – We conclude group with another sharing circle.
Includes our signature weekend activities “Poi for the Soul,” “Surf for the Soul,” and “Seeds of Love.”
Other activities are organized in collaboration with various groups to engage children in activities that promote positive values, increase skills, and widen the network of support for families. All activities are free, teach children about healthy eating, help children with physical fitness, and include anti-drug and alcohol messages.
The Hawaii Foster Youth Coalition is a specific project under Kids Hurt Too Hawaii specific to supporting youth who are dealing with the child welfare system. Activities include an annual healing trip to Kaho’olawe and support with finding employment. We focus on youth and young adults who are aging out of the foster care system.
Peer Support Group SCHEDULE
1) Monthly peer support group for children and teens impacted by parent separation due to divorce, incarceration, domestic violence, or other causes: meets second Tuesday from 6-8 PM
2) Monthly peer support group for children and teens impacted by the death of a parent or close family member; meets first Tuesday of the month from 6-8 PM
3) Monthly peer support group for children and teens with any type of parent loss; meets second Wednesday of the month from 6-8 pm
4) Bi-monthly peer support group for children and teens impacted by the death of a parent or someone close: meets first and third Thursdays from 6-8 PM
5) Bi-monthly peer support group for Children in Care (includes foster care, kinship care, guardianship, and adoption): meets first and third Monday of each month from 6-8 PM
All groups include a potluck dinner from 6:00-6:30 PM. There is no charge for participation. We accept donations.